Saturday, January 16, 2010

Here's to you 2010~!

I have been racking my brain all winter as to how to be better. I have been so lucky in my past to have the foundation that I do. From learning all the specific details of upper level eventing from Kim Severson, to how to put the polish on things from Holly Hepp, to how to ride each and every horse like they wish to be ridden on that day from Bonnie Mosser, how do I put it all together. Well the truth is that I decided that if I could get that right then I would be right up there with Ms. Cleo and we all know how that turned out for her, a law suit and jail time, I think.

Vaunted and I have been together for going on 8 years now. When Kim and I found him out of Jan Bynny's barn, he was nothing more than a scrawny off the track TB that knew to jump over things that got in his way. Who would have guessed that he would be willing enough to take me around both of our first CCI****! I experienced so many emotions at that moment when I came off that course. I was sad it was over, happy it was over, and so grateful to my horse! I don’t usually admit this but I may have cried a little bit…this is something that Bonnie NEVER lets me forget!! I started thinking that evening about how far he has come and how much he has given me. I remember the first time I was trying to teach him to canter….I called Kim and she said to put a pole on the ground and ask him over that, which I did. Then the next time I saw her she had to get on him; and she was just coming back from breaking her leg or something, (I can’t remember which bone it was) and she had to make him canter. The next day she was so lame and had this massive blister on her heel. Classic.

I also remember the first time the girls that worked for Kim helped me get to my first three day. Man that list was INSANE!! The guidance that Molly Bull and Lili Bennett gave me was worth more than anything. And to think that less than a decade later I would be finishing my first four star. Crazy! I often times get made fun of because I am that girl that has two of everything…no really, everything! I also label everything: with tape, my initials, my last name, really whatever tickles me at the moment. I have a funny story about Tim Lipps stealing my bucket at Rolex but that will be for later. So thanks Molly and Lili, for my compulsive packing and OCD about my stuff!!

After all this recollection I realized that this year I want to ride my horse and make many more stories to tell. If we were all perfect, what would we talk about when we went out to dinner with one another?! I am so excited to take on this year and work harder than before to make another glorious trek with MY horse. I cant wait to tell all the stories!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers